Saturday, June 25, 2011

Whiskey Shimp Linguine (Recipe)

This week I'm running low on groceries, but at least I have the basics: pasta, frozen shrimp, butter, olive oil, onions, milk and, of course, whiskey. I wasn't sure what I was going to make for dinner tonight, but I was hungry and I needed something that was quick. So here's what I did.

I diced about 1/2 cup of onions, peeled and deveined about 1.5 cups of shrimp and set them aside. I put some water on one burner to boil for the linguine and at the same time placed a saute pan on another burner on medium heat. When the pot of water boiled, I threw in the linguine, reduced the heat and set the timer for 11 minutes.

While the pasta was simmering, in the saute pan I put 3 tbsp. of butter in the pan along with 3 tbsp. of olive oil. Once the butter melted I threw in the onions and sauteed them until translucent. I then added 1 tsp. of minced garlic and 1 tbsp. of dijon mustard and mixed it all in. Then I put 1 tsp. of corn starch in a cup and mixed it with 1/2 cup of low-fat milk and poured it into the onion mixture.

Once the milk was brought up to temperature and slightly thick, I added about 1/4 cup of whiskey, 1 tsp. of dry tarragon, salt and pepper to taste, and the shrimp, stirring gently every few seconds. By the time my shrimp was cooked through, my pasta was done. I drained the pasta, put it in bowls and poured the whiskey shrimp sauce all over it and sprinkled that with some grated Parmesan cheese. Fast and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment