Sunday, March 4, 2012

Cinnamon Sticky Buns (Recipe)

Once in a while, I want something deliciously unhealthy and sweet for breakfast...or a snack. So every now and then I'll make some cinnamon sticky buns. I made a bioche type dough by blooming 1 tsp. yeast in 3/4 cup milk that was microwaved until about 110 degrees (a candy thermometer is good for this), 2 cups flour, 2 pats of butter, and 1 egg. I mixed all this with a spoon until it loosely came together (it will be crumbly) and then kneaded it for a few minutes until it formed a smooth ball. If too dry or wet, feel free to add a sprinkle of water or a dash of flour until the right consistency is achieved.

I then let this rest for about 30 minutes on the work surface with the bowl I used to mix it upside down on top of the dough. After which, I rolled it out until about 1/2 inch thick, brushed the flattened dough with melted butter and sprinkled it with cinnamon and granulated sugar. I then rolled it up and cut the roll into 2 inch pieces. Then in a medium-sized pot I melted 1 stick of butter, 1/2 cup of packed dark brown sugar, 1 tsp. cinnamon, and 1 tsp. vanilla extract.

I poured this liquid into a buttered 9 x 9 casserole, let it cool for about 10 minutes, and placed the rolls in, cut side down, with about 1 inch of space between each piece, into the goo and let it rest for about 40 minutes or until the buns have expanded. I then baked the buns in a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes or until golden brown on top.

To enjoy, I pull out a bun, turn it upside down so the gooey part is on top and serve it still warm with a fork and a tall glass of milk. Sweet and satisfying!


No comments:

Post a Comment