Sunday, November 18, 2012

Cafe Taxim--Palo Alto (Turkish cuisine)

While walking in downtown Palo Alto, a very colorful picture of a lamb gyro in a window stopped me in my tracks. I looked around, saw a few more pictures of various Turkish items and was drawn in. Located at 423 University Avenue in Palo Alto, this establishment boasts street food from Istanbul. The owner was a very nice lady who welcomed us warmly and answered all my questions with patience.

The format is to order at the counter, get your number, choose a table and proceed to drool from all the colorful pictures of Turkish food on the walls. Water with lemon is available self serve and beverages include Turkish beer and wine. I selected a piece of Pogaca (a mini pie of sorts with feta cheese and parsley encased inside), placed my order and took a seat.

For a look at their menu: http://www.cafetaxim.net

How can I describe the Pogaca? The texture was almost like a mix of a yeast bread and a pastry pie crust; I'm still trying to decide which. A tiny bit sweet with the tangy feta cheese inside and the nutty, toasted black sesame seeds on top, I immediately wanted more.



For my lunch, I selected the Iskender. This was a plate of marinated lamb and beef topped with a grilled piece of tomato and bell pepper. Bread cubes (homemade bread) are underneath soaking up the tomato sauce and served with a pyramid of perfectly cooked and tasty rice pilaf as well as a fantastic! homemade yogurt. The meat was tender and flavorful, the tomato sauce tasted homemade and I think I will be asking if I can buy a pint of that yogurt next time. It was so thick, rich, creamy and not too tangy. So good!


My boyfriend ordered the Lamb & Beef Gyro Plate. This was also with marinated lamb and beef, homemade bread, rice pilaf and a super fresh and lightly dressed salad. Very tasty.



Of course, I had to try the Baklava. Sometimes Baklava is a bit too sweet for me but this one was not. Wonderfully flaky, nutty and delicious.



Cafe Taxim was a great find and I look forward to returning to try their other offerings.

No comments:

Post a Comment