Monday, December 29, 2014

Chinese Rice Porridge (Recipe)

Almost nothing is more comforting to me than a big steaming bowl of rice porridge with all the "fixins". This was what I had for breakfast as a kid (and still today at times) and what my parents would make me when I wasn't feeling well. One of the things I love about rice porridge is that it's so simple to make. The other thing I love about it is, like pizza, you can put any toppings imaginable on it. Here is a very simple slow-cooker method that I would like to share.

Here's what you'll need:
1 cup white rice (I prefer Jasmine rice)
11 cups filtered water
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1/4 cup minced or grated ginger (optional)


Here's what you'll do:
- In the bowl of your slow cooker, add rice and water.
- Add grated ginger and stir.
- Set on low, cover with lid and let the mixture cook for 3-4 hours or until desired thickness. I like my porridge thick. Please note that it will bubble up while cooking. Leave the lid on but you can move it a little so it's off center to release the steam.
- Stir in green onion and ladle into bowls.

Add any toppings you like. The picture below includes 1000-year-old egg, pickled jelly fish, peanut gluten, and fresh cilantro.

But I also like to add any kind of cooked meat, bean sprouts, soft-boiled egg, fried garlic, seaweed, sauteed greens, pickled vegetables, anything! Even just a drizzle of soy sauce and sesame oil would do it for me.

Enjoy!









No comments:

Post a Comment