Sunday, September 5, 2021

Bacalhau Grill -- San Jose, CA (Portuguese cuisine)

There are not many authentic Portuguese restaurants in the Bay Area, and while there are plenty of Latin fusion restaurants with some Portuguese flair, I was looking for a place that celebrated the preserved cod, or bacalhau. I found it at 1555 Alum Rock Avenue. 

This establishment provided a taste of the sea with dine-in or take-out options for your eating pleasure. The exterior was basic and simple, with a few parking spots nearby. But after one step inside, I was surprised to see an entire market, and marveled at the rows of Portuguese items, trying my best to prevent myself from buying all the cured meats, rice, beans, wine, cheese and hot sauce I could carry.

The atmosphere was simple and basic, with a partition that separated the restaurant area from the market area. The service was friendly and patient; the person behind the counter explained every dish and answered all my questions with a smile. After my first bite, I knew I found a hidden gem. I was very impressed with the quality and flavors I experienced and look forward to my next visit.


https://thebacalhaugrill.com/


Here are some of the things I've enjoyed.


Coxinha. This is typically a Brazilian street food item that is made with a soft flour-based dough, stuffed with shredded, seasoned chicken and fried until golden and crisp on the outside, but still soft and pillow-y on the inside. These were perfectly seasoned and excellent as a snack or appetizer. 




Coxinha, inside. The chewy dough was very uniform throughout and the generous chicken filling was moist and soaked up vinegar hot sauce very nicely.






Bolinho de Bacalhau. A type of croquette made with shredded bacalhau (salted cod). These were excellent finger foods, had a nice crisp exterior and a meaty interior. 




Bolinho de Bacalhau, inside. The shredded bacalhau filling was hearty and enhanced with garlic and parsley. The shred was a bit rough so it left nice chunks to bite into.






Polvo Guisado. Octopus is one of my favorite sea creatures to eat and this one was a hit. Cooked until tender, and seasoned expertly with garlic, onion and parsley. This was a hearty dish that was served with fluffy white rice. 






Bacalhau de Natas. Stews are on my list of things I enjoy and this thick, bacalhau stew with potatoes and cream really hit the spot. This was not a watery stew, nor was it too heavy with the addition of cream. The few ingredients really let the fish come through and the baked preparation brought all the ingredients together into a cohesive, and tasty, dish.






Alcatra. Beef was on the menu this day and this braised beef stew was also a winner in the stew category. This one had a little more liquid to spoon over the rice, but the meat was savory, tender and seasoned well.






Queijada. Gently sweetened custard filled this flaky pastry crust. A mild vanilla aroma permeated my nasal passageway as I heartily enjoyed this three-bite delight. The extra "burnt" edges of the custard imparted a caramel, nutty flavor to these little treats. Very enjoyable.





Cone. This puff pastry was shaped into a cone, baked until flaky and crisp, then filled with pastry cream and chocolate cream. A very nice treat to go with coffee.


The level of care and craftsmanship with the making of these dishes made me wonder if the proprietors were losing money with the affordability of this amazingly delicious food. I will happily go back for more and maybe even try making a dish or two using ingredients purchased from the attached market.



No comments:

Post a Comment