Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Basil & Thyme--Newark (Italian cuisine)

I never thought that Indian food would or could fuse with Italian food. But this place, even though they call themselves an Italian Bistro, have some dishes with an Indian finesse to them. I also think they are not trying to be known as a fusion restaurant, as most of their dishes are strictly Italian. Let me explain.

I've been somewhat of a regular since this establishment opened in 2010 and was recommended by a friend. Located at 5498 Central Avenue in Newark, Basil & Thyme include typical Italian dishes like Eggplant Parmigiana, along with more unique dishes such as their Halibut Filet au Mango Mousleen.

This is one of my favorite dishes. Not only is the fish cooked perfectly, but the mango sauce is made with a mango puree that is used in Indian fare, particularly in a drink called Mango Lassi (which is made with yogurt). As I love Indian food and am somewhat familiar with it, especially since I've traveled to India in 2009, I recognized the Indian ingredients used in some of their dishes. Otherwise, they are so subtle, and work so well with each dish, I don't think anyone even notices.

But I think this is one of the aspects that make this restaurant so unique and also so wonderful to experience. The pure Italian dishes they offer are very Italian and also very delicious (they also make their own pasta), but the dishes that have the Indian finesse to them are the ones that keep me coming back. I can also say this is a very consistent restaurant. With each visit, the food has always been as wonderful as the previous encounter.

During my most recent visit, I decided to venture away from my usual picks, which are the Halibut (as noted above) and also the Pork Chop au Black Funghi. Every piece of meat I've ordered at Basil & Thyme has been cooked perfectly each time. This visit was no different. So for a change, I tried the Calamari Fritte and the Filet Salmon Dore. The calamari was fresh, fried to a crispy goodness without being too heavy and was served with two different sauces. One was sweet, while the other was savory. Both worked for this dish. The salmon was flaky and flavorful, served with a smooth and creamy butter sauce and thyme rice. Yum.




The location is a bit out of the way, so they probably don't get as much business as they should, but once you get there, you will not be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment