Saturday, August 27, 2011

Whiskey Butter Sauced Pork Chop & Bourbonade (Recipe)

Prior to the last couple of years, I was never a huge whiskey/bourbon lover. Never thought about ordering it at a bar or drinking it at home. I've always been a Vodka girl (Hangar One is my favorite). I think what changed my mind was my trip to Ashland, Oregon last year. I visited an Irish Pub for a brew and the bartender there decided to invent a new cocktail right then and there, and used myself and my boyfriend as guinea pigs.

Oink oink. It was delicious. Made with fresh squeezed lemon juice, sugar, and 3 different bourbons (including bourbon whiskey and good ol' Jack Daniels). It was very refreshing on a hot July day and since then, I've been a whiskey/bourbon fan and I've recreated this drink at home many many times. I've dubbed my version, bourbonade.

I use 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, 1/3 cup simple syrup (plain or cinnamon infused) and 1/4 cup bourbon whiskey. Maybe a little more simple syrup or lemon juice depending on how I'm feeling. Super easy for a super refreshing drink.

I've also discovered that whiskey/bourbon is great for cooking. I actually don't really know the difference between whiskey and bourbon so I use a bourbon whiskey like Jim Beam. For my latest experimentation, I made some pork chops with a whiskey butter sauce. Here's what I did. I took 4 1/2-inch thick pork chops, seasoned them on both sides with salt and pepper, and broiled them for 7 minutes on each side.

While that was happening, I heated 1/2 stick of butter in a small pot over medium heat until it was melted. Then I added 1/2 cup of lightly packed dark brown sugar, 1/4 cup of golden raisins and about 1/4 cup of diced pear. I cooked it all until the sugar melted and then added 1/2 cup of bourbon whiskey and simmered that for about 1 minute.

By the time the chops were cooked, the sauce was done as well. I just spooned the sauce over the chops and served it with a nice green salad. Sweet and savory all rolled into one.

No comments:

Post a Comment