Sunday, April 29, 2012

Afghan-ish breakfast (Recipe)

This is an ode to the farmer's market. This past weekend I visited the San Ramon Farmer's Market and found a table selling Afghan food products. I ended up purchasing a spinach-filled bolani, (Afghan flat bread that is stuffed and grilled) a potato-filled bolani and a jar of sweet jalapeno chutney.

To celebrate and eat this purchase, for more than just lunch or dinner, I decided to try incorporating the ingredients into a breakfast dish. I toasted the bolani in the toaster oven for a few minutes, cooked two eggs till over medium and layered as you see below. I then topped it all with the sweet jalapeno chutney and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.

I know this is not a "real" Afghan dish, but it was delicious and I wanted to spread the word about the vendor. They are called East & West Gourmet Afghan Food and they make all their own bolanis, chutneys, hummus, etc. They sell their wonderful products at local Bay Area Farmer's Markets and I encourage anyone to check them out. They are also very willing to let you taste before you buy. Explore and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment