Friday, April 13, 2012

Bacon, Pork Belly and Egg Tart (Recipe)

I'm always looking for new things to make for breakfast. This was inspired by Occupy Bacon, a site that gives thanks to all things bacon. Since I'm unable to follow a written recipe, below is my recipe for this delectable tart.

I started with a regular pie crust. 1 cup flour, 1 pinch salt and 3/4 stick butter went into the food processor and pulsed until course crumbs formed. Then I added slightly less than 1/4 cup of cold water and pulsed until the dough came together. I then dumped the dough on a sheet of plastic wrap, wraped it up and put it in the fridge for about 20 minutes to rest.

I then unwrapped the dough, sprinkled it with flour and rolled out the dough on a lightly floured surface until about 1/4 inch thick. Then I cut it into small circles, placed them in mini pie pans (this amount makes 4 small tarts), pierced them with a fork and baked them for 12 minutes in a 375 degree oven until lightly golden and slightly puffed.

Then in the center of each pie crust I added the already cooked and crumbled bacon, cooked pieces of pork belly and cracked one raw egg in the center. After a light sprinkle of salt and pepper I placed it back into the 375 degree oven and baked for 8 minutes. Then I turned the temperature to broil and let it go for 90 seconds until the egg was set to my liking (I like my eggs a bit runny in the yolk). After removing promptly and letting it cool for about 5 minutes, I enjoyed my savory breakfast.

To make things faster in the morning, the pie crust portion can be made and baked a day in advance and everything else can be done the day of. Mm-mm, bacon!

No comments:

Post a Comment