Monday, July 9, 2012

Fish Sandwich (Recipe)

I've been on a bit of a fish kick lately. Actually, I absolutely love fish of all kinds. I just don't eat it enough since it's usually a bit pricey. But some Pacific Red Snapper was on sale at the grocery store this week and I took advantage. So for dinner the other night, I thought a fish sandwich would be delicious and nutritious. Here's what I did to make two sandwiches.

I first pan cooked four pieces of bacon until crisp and set them aside on a plate lined with a paper towel. I then took two 8-ounce fillets and removed the bones using clean needle-nosed pliers. I patted them dry with paper towels and sprinkled them with salt, pepper, garlic powder and red chili flakes. I heated a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, sprayed it with cooking spray and placed the fillets in the pan and cooked them on each side for 3 1/2 minutes until the inside was no longer opaque. There is no shame in cutting the fish fillets in half to see if it's fully cooked on the inside.

While the fish cooked, I took two french rolls, lightly buttered the insides and placed them in the toaster oven. I set the timer for 3 1/2 minutes. Then I took two handfuls of fresh arugula, and tossed them with a splash of fresh lime juice, olive oil and a small pinch of salt and pepper.

When the fish was done, I removed them from the pan and set them aside. I then wiped out the pan with a paper towel and fried two eggs till over medium and set them aside. To assemble the sandwich, I spread some pineapple habanero mayo (mayo mixed with Robert Rothschild Farm's Roasted Pineapple & Habanero Dip--available on-line or in some specialty stores; pictured below) on both sides of the bun and added the fish, one egg, two slices of bacon, a slice of brie cheese, and the arugula. Dinner was served and it was a hit! I think the only thing that would have made it better would be some pickled onions and/or pickled jalapeno peppers. Next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment