Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Drake's Brewery--San Leandro (First Friday Event)

This past month I visited Drake's Brewery's First Friday event in San Leandro. Located at 1933 Davis Street, on the first friday of every month, they host a fundraiser for a worthy local cause. For June, it was for a local elementary school. For July, it will be for The Boys and Girls Club.


It's a $5 donation to get in and once inside, you can purchase a Drake's pint glass for $15, which includes 3 tokens for 3 full pours. Quite a bargain if you ask me. Plus, you can bring a glass from a previous Drake's First Friday event and just buy some tokens for $3.50 each. One of the other pulls for me is the good grub they usually have on hand to serve the humble philanthropists.

One of my favorite gourmet food trucks was at this past event. I've talked about them before, but I have to make another mention since I tried another dish and it was amazing.

Go Streatery
One of my all-time favorite dishes anywhere is their Braised Oxtail. Succulent, falling-off-the-bone tender and flavorful, this can be ordered over rice or grits. I chose rice as I'm not a huge grits fan, but I would think their grits would be really good as well.


My new favorite item is their Brisket Sandwich. Served on a toasted brioche bun, this meat was also ridiculously tender, moist and savory.


Bourbon Bros. BBQ
I could have called it a day after a couple pints of Drake's finest and the food from Go Streatery, but, of course, I had to try some pulled pork. With just one thing on the menu, you would expect it to be good. It was. Slow-cooked for 16 hours, this pulled pork was moist, tender and had a nice, smoky flavor. Served in a roll, they also included broccoli slaw (from a secret family recipe). My boyfriend, who hates broccoli, gobbled up every bit of this sandwich, slaw and all and enjoyed every mouthful. Nice work Bourbon Brothers.



The only drawback is the event ends at 8pm and it's a limited space. After reaching capacity, they only allow people in once other people leave. So get there early and bring a lawn chair, as provided seating is limited. For more information on Drake's First Friday Events, visit their web site:
http://drinkdrakes.com/site/?page_id=24

No comments:

Post a Comment