Monday, December 31, 2012

King of Dumplings--Newark (Chinese cuisine)

I've found another place that makes great noodles by hand. Located at 39229 Cedar Blvd. in the Quickly milk tea shop in Newark, I would have never known this place existed if not for a coupon I found online. For a place that specializes in dumplings, I was pleasantly surprised to discover everything else was good too. They also deliver on certain days and offer online ordering. This is not a fancy dining establishment. I would say it's more like home cooking, if my mom made noodles and dumplings from scratch all day.

http://www.kingofdumplings.net/

I've visited King of Dumplings a couple times now and here are some of my favorite things.

This is their Green Chives Pancake, which is a stuffed, savory pancake that is pan-fried and filled with fresh chinese chives and dried shrimp. The outside is nice and crispy and I feel like I'm getting a good serving of veggies eating one of these.


An entertaining part of coming here is watching the noodles get made. Each noodle is hand pulled until it's just the right thickness. It's amazing how uniform the noodles are and they have a great chew. This is the Bean Paste Noodle; one of my favorites. It comes unmixed and you toss it yourself. The sauce is savory and has a slight sweetness. Fresh cucumbers give it a nice crunch and the ground pork gives it a good heartiness.


This is the Beef Shank Noodle. Same noodle, just a slightly sweeter and thinner sauce, served as a cold dish. Also delicious. They also serve some really big bowls of noodle soups. I haven't tried those yet, but they look really comforting.


Of course, one cannot visit the King of Dumplings without getting some dumplings. These are also made from scratch. These are the Shrimp & Chive dumplings. The shrimp had a nice snap which indicated freshness and the skins had a nice chew. Nothing is overly salted or bland and each piece is a perfect mouthful. You can also purchase frozen dumplings to go and boil them yourself at home.



They also have regular, non-carb dishes like the Mapo Tofu. This is made with the silky version of tofu and has a spicy sauce with bits of ground pork. Perfect over some steamed rice.


The Mu Shui Pork was also very tasty. Basically it's scrambled eggs with pork, wood ear mushrooms, and cucumbers. Every bite was a little different but all delicious.



I'm pretty sure I'm going to be a "regular" here since it's close to where I live and look forward to many more wonderful noodle (and non-noodle) dishes in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment