Monday, May 2, 2011

Real chicken nuggets (Recipe)

Ok, I know real chickens don't really have real nuggets, just like that commercial said, but you know what I mean. Unless you prefer the fast food type of nugget that's processed and fried, don't try this recipe. But if you want a healthier and, in my opinion, more delicious real chicken/baked version, then continue reading.

I started by getting out my handy dandy food processor; one of my favorite kitchen tools. Actually, you might just say these nuggets were processed...har har. Eh-hem, so I processed 6 pieces of boneless, skinless chicken thighs, 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese, 1 tbsp. dijon mustard, 1/2 tsp. Worchestershire sauce, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, 1/2 tsp. onion powder, 1/2 tsp. dry parsley flakes, 1/2 tsp. paprika, 3/4 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper. I whirred everything together for 3 phases, with each phase being about 20 seconds. After each phase, I would uncover the food processor and scrape down the sides and the lid, just to make sure everything was evenly incorporated.

The next step was to turn that mashed up bowl of chicken-y goodness into nuggets. I did this by scrambling 1 egg and poured that into a shallow bowl. Then I used another shallow bowl for some flour and another for some bread crumbs. I used a small ice cream scoop to get somewhat evenly sized nuggets, smashed each scoop with my fingers until I achieved the desired size and shape, dipped it into the flour, shook off the excess, dipped it into the egg wash and then dipped it into the bread crumbs until thoroughly covered.

I then sprayed each piece front and back with some cooking spray and placed it on a cooling rack over a cookie sheet. After all nuggets were created, I placed all into a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. This recipe made about 14 nuggets that were each about the size of a golf ball. Here's a pic of the results.

After I consumed what I could, the next day I used the leftovers to make into wraps. Who needs fast food? Not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment