Monday, September 19, 2011

Ashland, Oregon 2011 (various eateries)

I just finished a visit to Ashland, Oregon the other weekend. It's always nice going to Ashland for a quick getaway. The people are nice, the Shakespeare Festival always has entertaining plays, the air is cleaner, and my boyfriend's mom's lake house where we stay is just like home (just a lot quieter and way more remote).

I experienced quite a few eats and drinks while there, from an Irish pub to an upscale french-inspired restaurant that has a very misleading name. I'll just get right into it.

Mix Sweet Shop
Let's start with dessert. At 57 North Main Street, this place makes their own everything, including ice cream (flavors are seasonal; pictured below is their salted caramel), ice cream cones as well as many varieties of pastries, chocolates and breads. I love their sugar cones, which they make fresh every day. They're crispy and have a wonderful toastiness, which indicates how fresh they are. I could just eat that without the ice cream, but of course I had both. Their almond french macaroons were coconutty, chewy and not too sweet. Almost just like the ones I had in France.



Martolli's Pizza
At 38 East Main Street, this pizzeria serves beer on tap, pizza by the slice and your usual whole pizza to order. They have a super thin, crispy crust. Just the way I like it. Pictured below are meat combo slices with pints of beer. My idea of a perfect snack.


New Sammy's Cowboy Bistro
Just outside of Ashland is this french-inspired restaurant. At 2210 South Pacific Highway, in Talent, the name made me think it was BBQ. I was wrong, so wrong. At the end of the gravel parking lot is a little garden with various vegetables and herbs growing, which I later saw in the food I ordered.

The wine list is vast and a bit overwhelming for a wine novice such as myself. However, the wait staff made it easy by making their recommendations based on your taste and what you plan to order. The restaurant itself looks like a house that was converted. The food was a bit on the pricey side, but very delicious.

The front bar area was very modern and rustic at the same time, while the dinning areas were little rooms with just one or two tables squeezed in.


One starter was a cold cucumber soup served in a shot glass. Very garlicky and refreshing. The other was pate over shredded carrots. I love pate and this one was too small of a portion. I wanted more.





















Each course was served on non-matching plates and bowls. I loved this aspect of the dining experience and it's something that I do at home myself.

I had the braised goat with polenta and cabbage salad and my boyfriend had the grilled lamb with risotto. Both were cooked perfectly and were tender, juicy and flavorful.

 


Dragonfly Restaurant
At 241 Hagardine Street, Dragonfly boasts an asian/latin fusion menu. They have an outdoor seating area that provides wonderful ambiance with a multi-level seating area and trees with string lights.

We started off with the Ahi Wontons. The tuna was fresh, the wonton skins crisp and the sweet soy and wasabi cream flavored everything lightly. I could've had another order of this.


The Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos--Three Ways were next.  Each was topped with something different. Pico de gallo, chipotle cream and papaya mango mint salsa. Served with black beans and coconut rice, this was another amazing fish dish.


And finally, the last entree was the Brazil Bowl. A delectable combination of chicken, coconut rice, black beans, papaya mango mint salsa and crispy plantains. I was in heaven.


Paddy Brannan's Irish Pub
I think I've become a regular here, if you can call once a year, every year (starting now) regular. Located at 23 South 2nd Street, this place has great prices for happy hour and very friendly bartenders. They, apparently, also have an award-winning chef. Unfortunately I did not eat here, but will make a mental note to do so next time. As far as beer goes, I do enjoy the ones they have on tap.



Overall, my Ashland food experience was the best of my three (so far) visits to Ashland. I look forward to making more food memories in the years to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment