Sunday, September 25, 2011

Eat Real Festival--Oakland 2011 (gourmet street food event)

I was introduced to the world of gourmet food trucks this year. Prior to this year, my take on food trucks was basically the same feeling I have toward processed meat and canned soup. Not good. Although after attending a few gourmet food truck events in my area over the last few months, I've become a convert.

At Jack London Square this past weekend was the "Eat Real Festival". A showcase of over two dozen food trucks offering just as many different types of food. Unfortunately it rained while I was there, but that didn't stop the hoards of people from getting some excellent food truck food. They even had little workshops on butchery and bread baking while in conjunction with the local farmer's market. It was definitely a great, all-day event.

Brittany Crepes & Galettes
I started with dessert. Not a truck but actually a booth, I had the Sugar, Butter & Lemon Juice Crepe. Extra kudos to the owner for being from France, which gave him credibility. He made a very thin, very buttery, very nice crepe for me. I ate almost the whole thing before I remembered to take a photo.


Jim 'n Nicks Bar-B-Q
The appetizer was a pulled pork slider. From North Carolina, these guys pulled a full-sized trailer behind their food truck housed with their smoker/bbq-er. This was the highlight of my entire visit. The pork was ridiculously tender (like butter), the sauce was vinegar based and they put just enough of it to balance the flavors. I could've eaten eight of these....at least. Well done Jim 'n Nick...well done.



Sam's Chowder Mobile
Seafood was next on the list. I enjoyed a Lobster Roll and a Shrimp Po' Boy. It's amazing what can come off a food truck. The lobster was just the tiniest bit chewy, but it didn't deter my enjoyment of a lobster roll that wasn't smothered in mayonnaise. Served on a deliciously buttery roll, it went very well with the Shrimp Po' Boy. Freshly fried shrimp and also not overly dressed, this 'po boy was four bites of shrimpy goodness.



El Porteno, Empanadas Argentinas
The first time I had an empanada was when I visited New York in 2009. There was a Puerto Rican corner deli on almost every corner of Queens, and they made empanadas fresh every day. I didn't realize a pocket of pastry filled with meat could taste so good. This little food booth was on my list to try at this event. Even though they were not a food truck (they're a restaurant located at the Ferry Building in S.F.), it was still a great addition to this event. Their beef and mushroom empanadas were flaky and flavorful. And also excellent walking food.

Beef


Mushroom


4505 Meats
Who ever thought meat on a stick would be a widely accepted concept. 4505 Meats made it work with their Pork and Cheddar Sausage on a Stick. With just a bit of mustard, this sausage had a great snap, followed by oozy cheese and an excellent flavor.


Nieves Artesanales de Garrafa
I ended the day how I begun...with dessert. Nieves Artesanales de Garrafa (handmade ice cream) had over a dozen flavors made with real fruit and real flavor. They were happy to let me have a taste as well. I enjoyed their Guava ice cream. It was creamy, not too sweet and had actual seeds from guava in the ice cream. The perfect end to a great food event.



No comments:

Post a Comment