Thursday, September 29, 2011

Persian Lamb Shank (Recipe)

After eating at my favorite Persian restaurant in Fremont, called Bijan, I decided to try and cook lamb shank. The one on Bijan's menu is super moist, tender, seasoned with aromatic spices and served with its own juices and basmati rice. I didn't think I could duplicate that exactly, but I wanted to make an attempt. Since this was the very first time I've ever prepared lamb, I decided to use a crock pot. I thought that would at least keep it from getting tough or dry.

I started with two lamb shanks, about one pound each, and placed them in my crock pot. Then I added a small bunch of cilantro stems, 2 bay leaves and about 10 pepper corns. In a measuring cup I poured 1/2 cup of port wine, 1/2 cup of dry sherry, 1/2 cup of chicken stock, 1 tbsp. garam masala, 1 tsp. of salt, 1 tsp. ground cumin, 1 tsp. ground coriander, 1/2 tsp. minced garlic and 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon and mixed well. I poured this into the crock pot and let it cook on high for about 1 hour and then turned it low and let it cook for 4 more hours, turning the shanks once after 2 hours. 

The result was what I was hoping for. Tender, juicy lamb, with some flavorful juice to serve it with.



No comments:

Post a Comment