Sunday, October 9, 2011

Falafel Etc.--Fremont (Middle Eastern cuisine)

I never knew what a falafel was supposed to taste like until I visited Falafel Etc. at 39200 Fremont Blvd. in Fremont. The place is reminiscent of my high school cafeteria, but it fries up fresh falafels that are crispy on the outside, and when bitten into, exposes their green, spiced up softness on the inside. I am somewhat of a regular here, and each time I visit, Ramzi, part one of the two part husband and wife owners, is there to greet me warmly.

To remain true to their Middle Eastern roots, some of their spices are imported directly from Israel, where Ramzi and his wife, Zuhad are from. Knowing that something I may be eating has been shipped from afar, makes me appreciate it that much more. During this visit, I started out with the hummus. Who ever thought the humble garbanzo bean had the potential to be so creamy and delicious.


They have plates or sandwiches available for their falafel or shawarma. I usually go for the sandwich since it has those tasty falafels, pickles, tomatoes, cucumber, tahineh and cabbage salad all tucked into a warm, soft, and fresh pita (probably the best pita I've tasted). They also have a condiment bar where you can add more tzatziki sauce, pickles, tahineh or spicy chili sauce to your liking.


Their shawarma plates are very good as well. Below is a lamb shawarma, which came with your choice of salad (tabbouleh, greek, spinach and cabbage) and also your choice of either hummus or baba ghannouj. They also serve this with a side of fresh pita bread.


Overall, Falafel Etc. is a great place for a casual lunch or dinner. The service is usually pretty fast. You order at the counter and they bring it to you; and they bus your table when you leave. They also cater and you can reserve the outdoor seating area for parties. Reasonable prices for a great meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment