Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Ohgane Korean BBQ--Dublin (Korean cuisine)

Another excellent recommendation from "Check Please" on PBS. Located at 7877 Amador Valley Blvd., this was one type of restaurant I wouldn't expect to find in Dublin. I don't mind though, since this is closer to me than San Francisco or Oakland. After many years of searching, I've finally found a Korean restaurant that reminds me of my friend's mom's home cooking.

What makes this place legitimate, is they actually have BBQ grills built right into the tables and they also give you the 16 plates of banchan (side dishes) to go with every meal. These include different types of kimchee, bean sprouts, pickled turnips, dried fish, various green vegetables, potatoes, etc., etc. I love this aspect of Korean dinning since you get so much variety with every meal.


We started off with the Gal Bi (short ribs). This is probably my favorite Korean dish and this one was probably one of the best I've tasted. The marinade was a beautifully complex mix of sweet and savory, and although I opted not to cook it myself on my table grill, it was prepared just right. Served on a hot iron plate with onions and all that wonderful juice, it was tender, moist, packed with flavor and very satisfying.


Next was a spicy kimchee stew with tofu, beef and clear noodles. This dish was warm, comforting, tangy and had just the right amount of spiciness. It also could have been a meal by itself since it was very hearty. The leftover soup was perfect over some white rice. I did not waste one drop.


And finally...noodles. I think I've said it before and I'll say it again. I love noodles. The last dish was a sweet potato noodle with mixed vegetables. I don't know how noodles can be made with sweet potatoes, but I applaud the person who figured it out. I wish I could get Ohgane's recipes for their sauces and marinades; they are stellar. This dish had a hint of sesame and was also superbly savory and satisfying.


Overall, it took a little bit of time for the hostess to notice us and get us a table, but once we were seated, the service was good for a place so busy. The prices were a bit high (about $20 per dish) but being that the quality was top notch, it was well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment