Saturday, June 23, 2012

Ashland, Oregon 2012 (various eateries)

I did my yearly visit to Ashland, Oregon a couple weeks ago. It was a nice getaway, as usual. Much quieter, cleaner, and calmer than the fast-paced Bay Area. Of course, I went to a couple plays, since the Shakespeare Festival was going on, and I did some eating and discovered some great places.

Mix Sweet Shop
At 57 North Main Street, this has become a must-visit place whenever I go to Ashland. Freshly made sugar cones is the pull for me, but this time I tried a cream puff and it was fantastic! Coated with dark chocolate, they kept this in a chilled display so it's nice and cool on a hot summer day. It was filled to capacity with a not-too-sweet, flavorful vanilla cream and the pastry was lightly golden brown and delicate. One of the best cream puffs I've ever had.


Larry's
To keep in line with the sweet theme, I took a chance at Larry's, a cupcake place. Located at 66 N. Pioneer Street, this bakery offers an overwhelming 50+ flavors to choose from. It was difficult to decide what to try, but I ended up with Passion Fruit, Pink Champagne, Red Velvet and Lavender Meadows. Each one had a nice density, and each flavor stood out well. Very nice. They even offer gluten free and vegan cupcakes and also cater weddings and can create novelty cakes.


Standing Stone Brewing Company
At 101 Oak Street, this brewery brews their own beer in small batches and in full view using 90% organic grains. They also serve up sustainable and tasty food.

Our beer selection was the I Heart Oregon Ale and the specialty, Milk & Honey. The Milk & Honey beer was unexpectedly good. Full-bodied with a slight sweetness, it went down easy with medium hoppiness, while the I Heart Oregon Ale was light and refreshing.


Going off the daily specials, my boyfriend and I tried the Pizza and the Bison Burger. The pizza was topped with bacon, green apple, brie cheese, toasted walnuts, fresh basil, fresh garlic and drizzled with a really nice olive oil. This was a flavor combo that was surprising but absolutely worked. Every ingredient was fresh and top notch while the crust was thin and crispy with a nice wood-fire baked aroma.


All their burgers are made from 100% grass-fed cattle that are allowed to graze freely, are certified Organic and antibiotic/hormone-free. Just knowing that the bison lived a good life made me feel really good about the sacrifice he made to be my burger. The perfectly-cooked Bison Burger was housed between sliced focaccia bread and included caramelized fry onions and jalapeno aioli. The side of garlic fries was crisp and tasty as well. Hearty and delicious. The friendly wait staff and slightly industrial, but inviting atmosphere was also a plus. I will return.

Smithfields
Even though this restaurant is fairly new (established in 2011), they had me sold as soon as I read the menu. With dishes like Duck Leg Confit and Twice-baked Goat Cheese Souffle, how can I go wrong? I didn't. A bit on the pricey side, but with the attentive, knowledgeable service and high-quality food, it was worth every penny. Location: 36 South 2nd Street.

I started with the In House Charcuterie Board, which included house-made rabbit rillette, chicken liver parfait, bacon, country pork terrine, veggie pickles, mustard and crackers from a local bakery. Every bit of this was tasty. And with seven different items on one board, every combination I tried was savory, not too salty or sweet--just wonderful. That board was clean when it left the table.


Next was the Roasted Bone Marrow. I almost didn't order this, and then I saw it placed on a table nearby. A few minutes later, it was in front of me. I've never actually had bone marrow from a restaurant. Every time I had it was basically from sucking it out of a lamb shank bone or the like after preparing the meat; never just by itself. I was pleased. Served with capers, veggie pickles and charred sourdough, I could have eaten this as a meal.

For my entree I had the Anderson Valley (a nearby farm) 14 oz. Lamb Porterhouse. I cannot emphasize enough how perfectly cooked this lamb was. Grilled with a slight char on the outside and medium rare on the inside. It was heaven in my mouth. That lamb must have been loved when it was alive to produce such a nice flavor and texture. Not gamy or tough at all. The side of sugar snap peas were prepared well also. They tasted like they were sauteed in the lamb juice and then sprinkled with lemon zest and almonds.


For dessert I had the Caramelized Pear Bread Pudding with picked huckleberries and vanilla custard. It had a nice crispy crust on the outside and a soft, dense, creamy custardyness on the inside. The pickled huckleberries and pear went very well with it. Overall, it was a very memorable meal and was a great ending to a great weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment